You may be familiar with several websites which offer download of themes, plugins or any other files. When a user clicks on download, it will ask for the password. If you enter the password correctly the download will begin, otherwise, it shows an error message with an option for retry.
Can you create such password protected files or pages in WordPress? Yes, you can.
Create password protected post/page in WordPress (without plugins)
WordPress lets you create password-protected pages and posts without using any plugins. Just follow these steps,
1. Sign into your WordPress dashboard and create a new post or update existing content.
2. By default, you post visibility is ‘Public’. But you can change it to private or password protected as per your needs. Check ‘Publish’ menu on the right side of your post editor. Click the edit option that appears next to the ‘public’ under Visibility option.
Now you will get additional options like this,
Enter your password and click OK. Publish/update your post as usual. But it’s password protected and when a user opens the page, he will get a prompt to enter the password. He can’t view the contents without providing the exact password.
Create a password protected download (internal storage)
We pick the 3 best plugins that help you to create password protected downloads when the downloadable files are stored in WordPress website itself.
WordPress Download Manager is a powerful plugin to manage your digital downloads.
- From the WordPress dashboard, select Plugins, then click Add new
- Search for ‘WordPress Download Manager’, find it from the showed results
- Click on Install now button, then activate it.
- You will be automatically redirected to the plugin panel. At the bottom, you can find Download – Add New option. Click on that.
- Add your file details like name, a description in the newly opened screen.
- Upload your file
- Assign password, stock limit, download icon and click on Publish. You can make more customizations via plugin settings.
Download Monitor and Simple Download monitor are other popular plugins in the category. Both plugins are highly customizable and easy to handle. You can organize the downloadable contents under various categories, tags, add meta description to quickly filter them at a later moment.
You will get a detailed statistics of download counts and failed download attempts along with the user’s name and his IP address. So you can quickly analyze who made invalid attempts and tried to access your files.
Create password protected downloads (external storage)
Do you want to save files in the cloud storage and set a password for them to download from the WordPress site?
We often see such links where downloadable files are stored outside of the WordPress platform. Users need to input the correct password to begin the downloads. But we need a plugin to divert people to the external source.
Page links is a plugin that allows you to redirect a WordPress page (in our case, password protected page) to a URL of your choice.
Install and activate the plugin, to get an additional option in your post editor for custom link redirection.
Enter your URL where the downloadable file is located. Set the link to open in a new tab. Don’t forget to make your page password protected. If anyone enters the password, the plugin will redirect them to the custom pointed location.