Search engines are the excellent source of images on various topics. We can make use of them to find images published anywhere on the web. Thus they send massive traffic to your content using images.
Do you know how Google bot identifies the nature of your post images? Can it automatically say the image belongs to some or some another category? No. We should insert proper image ALT tags in order to make it search engine friendly. It means if your post is related to Facebook, the image alt tags should be something like Facebook or similar.
We should take care of these two things while using images in blog posts.
- It should be simple, lightweight and resized according to your theme design and content type.
- It should contain relevant ALT tags
We can do both these things manually to a limited extent.
How to automatically resize your blog post images without using any plugin
An image can be automatically resized in WordPress from the Settings panel.
- Login to your WordPress panel
- Tap Settings from the left sidebar and Media
- Choose the width, height for thumbnails and large images.
- Save changes. The images will be automatically resized on upload.
The default settings are limited and you can’t do anything more than that. So it’s better to use a dedicated plugin to compress your blog images and speed up the site.
WP Smush is an awesome plugin to do the job. It is a powerful tool that lets you resize, optimize and compress images with one click.
It follows lossless compression techniques to process images stored in any WordPress directory. So you needn’t compromise on the image quality and will get high-quality output even after the smushing.
- Install plugin from WordPress plugins directory
- Customise the settings if needed
- Tap Bulk Smush as you are a new user
- Wait for a few minutes depend on the number of images you have
- When complete, you will get detailed statistics on the same screen along with the number of optimized images and total savings. Afterwards, the plugin will automatically smush your blog images on upload. So you shouldn’t do anything on the image optimization thereafter.
How to insert ALT tags to your post images
After uploading or inserting images in blog posts, select it. A small box will appear with alignment and edit options. Tap the pencil icon to edit the image.
Enter your focus keyword on both title and Alt text fields. Repeat this process whenever you upload images on blog posts. So search engines can easily identify them and divert traffic to the connected posts.
Do you want to go for an automated option instead of inserting keywords each time?
SEO Friendly Images was a popular plugin to update all images with relevant title and alt attributes. But it hasn’t been updated for more than last two years, so you may face compatibility issues with latest versions of WordPress.
Seo Optimized Images is a good alternative to the above-said plugin. It will automatically optimize images for SEO.
- Install plugin from the plugin directory
- Choose attribute value for titles and alt texts
- Save changes
- It will automatically optimize your future post images without any manual intervention.