Blogging process involves lots of hardwork and research. The contents are made for the readers. But everything will go waste, if we are not getting enough traffic to it.
Bloggers usually say, we are writing for the humans not for the search engines. It is practically right. Our language should be understood easily by the readers not machines. For that, we need to use simple wordings and language in the posts. Writers should avoid complex phrases, sentences – those are difficult to follow for most of our readers.
But at the same time, do not ignore the search engine part. They are our main source of traffic. Google like search engines work on scientific codings and they analyze posts by tags, keywords you used. So it’s our job to inform Google on which subject you wrote the post and how much valuable it is.
How can you do this ?
SEO part will help you in this case. Optimize your contents for best results. It is not a difficult task and can be followed by even a newbie.
Do the following before publishing a blog post,
1. Start from the title. Give a unique title to your post. It should contain the main keyword you are going to use for SEO. For example, you are going to write a post on photography plugins. Naturally, the same will be your focus keyword. Try to use it in the very beginning.
2. Customize your URL. Make sure that you have added focus keyword there. Try to remove stop words from the slug for better results.
3. Add relevant images. Insert your main keyword in Alternative text field. Change its title attribute to some other that matches your topic.
4. Start your post with focus keyword or use it anywhere in the first paragraph.
5. Properly use heading tags. This post will guide you more on this. If possible, give <h2> tag to our main keyword at least once.
6. Use featured image with 1200 x 627 px or at least 700 x 467 px size. If you are choosing small images, they will not fit in the feed or timeline which may affect user engagement too.
7. Check your keyword density. It is the percentage of times your main keyword appears in a post compared to the total post length. 1-3 % is the ideal density percentage for the keyword. However it is not must.
8. Post should have minimum length of 300 words. Anything above it, will add more value to the content. If your post falls below the mark, try to fill the gap with additional information or something related. Check whether there is any spelling errors, gramatical mistakes if any.
9. Add necessary links in the post.
10. Optimize post for social media, if needed. You can find the relevant option under Social menu of SEO plugin.