We use author bio plugins or inbuilt theme options to highlight details of a writer. It can be shown anywhere on the posts screen along with his/her social media profiles. This WordPress feature is very helpful for bloggers to get attention and become popular among readers around the globe.
There are a couple of high quality plugins in WordPress to display author biography in an attractive box layout. If you are interested to do something different and want to go for a customized way, I will tell you how.
This’s my author box, that is displayed in one of by blog’s sidebar.
To get these kind of author bio boxes in your blogs, follow the below mentioned steps.
1. Login into your WordPress dashboard, go to Pages > Add New to create a new page.
2. Create a new table in 1 x 1 format. It means you need just a single column and row for this table. It you are using TinyMCE Advanced plugin, it will be easier for you. A table icon will be shown among tools on the top of your post editing screen. Click on it.
Draw a table in the format, I mentioned earlier. To assign border, select the table and go back to same menu again. Table properties should be active now. Once clicked, various customization options for table will open. Here you can set table height, width, border size, border color, alignment, background color etc. Enter ‘1’ in the box, that you will see next to the border option under General tab. This command will add a 1 px border to the table.
3. If you are not using the said plugin and only default post editor you have, change it to html mode. Now insert the following code in your screen.
|<table style=”height: 206px;” border=”1″ width=”454″>|
<td style=”width: 444.375px;”></td>
Don’t bother about the values mentioned for the size of table. I just resized the table to get enough space to type within the table. You can increase or decrease its size according to your requirement. Change post editor to Visual mode to fill with contents.
4. Insert author photo within the table, by going to Add Media option on the top. Reduce its size and align to the center of the table.
5. Type your biography as next paragraph. When finished, jump to html mode once again and copy the entire code you seen there.
6. Click Appearance > Widgets from left menu bar to create text widget.
7. Paste the entire code. Tap Save. Go to front end and see how it works.
8. If you are running a multi author blog, have to repeat this process for all of them. But we should display only one box at a time in the sidebar. So learn how to hide sidebar widgets from specific pages of WordPress.
If you are using Dynamic widgets that I mentioned in the linked post, hide newly created widget from front page, single posts (except own posts) and all forms of pages (except own author pages). Otherwise readers will see them in non-related, unwanted pages. It will create confusion or bad impression to the readers if your author bio appears along with the contents of other bloggers. Forget about this point in case you are single author in the site.